Front Desk ClerkJob Descriptions - Front Desk Clerk Duties and Responsibilities
A Front Desk Clerk represents the first point of contact with the clients of a business, hotel or doctor’s office. They perform essential front desk administrative duties including answering phone calls, greeting clients, and overseeing the office budget. Also known as a front desk receptionist.
What does a Receptionist do?
As a Receptionist, you will be the first point of contact for our company. Our Receptionist’s duties include offering administrative support across the organization. You will welcome guests and greet people who visit the business. You will also coordinate front-desk activities, including distributing correspondence and redirecting phone calls.
To be successful as a Receptionist, you should have a pleasant personality, as this is also a customer service role. You should also be able to deal with emergencies in a timely and effective manner, while streamlining office operations. Multitasking and stress management skills are essential for this position. This role may require working in shifts, so flexibility is a plus.
Ultimately, a Receptionist’s duties and responsibilities are to ensure the front desk welcomes guests positively, and executes all administrative tasks to the highest quality standards.
Similar Job Titles
- Front Desk Clerk
- Administrative Assistant
Front Desk ClerkDuties and Responsibilities
- Greet guests and provide them with superb customer service.
- Ensure the front desk is neat, presentable, and equipped with all the necessary supplies such as pens, forms, and paper.
- Answer all client questions and incoming calls.
- Redirect phone calls to the appropriate department and take down messages.
- Accept all letters and packages, and distribute them to their appropriate departments.
- Monitor, organize and forward emails.
- Track and order office equipment and supplies.
- Maintain records and files.
- Oversee the office budget.
- Answer phones and operate a switchboard.
- Route calls to specific people.
- Answer inquiries about company.
- Greet visitors warmly and make sure they are comfortable.
- Call persons waiting for visitor and book them a room to meet in.
- Schedule meetings and conference rooms.
- Make coffee and set out food.
- Ensure reception area is tidy.
- Coordinate mail flow in and out of office.
- Coordinate office activities.
- Handle phone calls from people calling in sick.
- Gather personal and insurance information.
- Hand out employee applications.
- Arrange appointments.
- Cash out people when necessary.
- Validate parking tickets.
- Give visitors badges and direct them to where they can sign in.
- Issue parking passes.
- Send email and faxes.
- Collect and distribute parcels and other mail.
- Perform basic bookkeeping, filing, and clerical duties.
- Prepare travel vouchers.
- Take and relay messages.
- Update appointment calendars.
- Schedule follow-up appointments.
Front Desk Clerk Requirements
- High school diploma or relevant qualification.
- A minimum of 2 years’ proven experience in a similar role.
- Good understanding of office administration and basic bookkeeping practices.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking abilities.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office programs.
- Proven experience as front desk representative, agent or relevant position
- Familiarity with office machines (e.g. fax, printer etc.)
- Knowledge of office management and basic bookkeeping
- Proficient in English (oral and written)
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel and Word)
- Strong communication and people skills
- Good organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Problem-solving skills
- Customer service orientation
- High School diploma; additional qualifications will be a plu
Other Jobs Description